Potato, Spinach and Sharp Cheddar Soup
Here is a good recipe for dinner, potato and cheese! Yum, these go great together. Add some spinach and now it has some extra vitamins for recovery. Good comfort food for sure. Even though this was developed for post operative nutrition, this one is great for any time! Enjoy.
- 1 medium to large baking potato, 5 to 7 oz.
- ½ medium white onion, finely diced
- 5 oz. chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- I tsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped scallions, optional
- Wrap potato in plastic wrap, puncture with toothpick 5 or 6 times
- Microwave potato 6 to 8 min. on high or until soft
- Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onion is softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add broth and bring to a simmer
- Add milk and bring back to simmer
- Reduce heat
- Quarter potato and place in blender
- Add broth mixture, cheese and spinach
- Pulse blender 3 to 4 times
- Blend for 1 min.
- Serve hot and garnish with extra shredded cheddar and chopped scallion.